Thursday, April 26, 2012

Would it be safe to plug a 3-pin input into a 4-pin output for my XFX Radeon HD 4850 video card?

I bought an XFX Radeon HD 4850 video card on ebay for a great price. After uninstalling the driver from my previous video card, I plugged it in and the PC won't power on. I checked the guide and it stated that I have to connect a 6 pin or 8 pin to the power supply to get it to function. That would make it a good power connection. Included with the card however was a 3 pin. My computer only takes a 4 pin. So I need 2 individual 6 pin or 8 pin going to a 6 or 8. I may have to resell this video card if the seller won't take it back. I wanted to upgrade my nvidia 8400 gs to something that can handle Fallout 3 and newer games better. This was one such card. I don't know now what to do. Please any help is appreciated. Thanks!|||You need a dual-molex-to-6-pin adapter to get that card to work. Apparently your eBay seller unscrupulously kept the one that came with the card.



You can buy one from Newegg though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



The two 4-pin molex ends you plug into the 4-pin drive power connectors on your power supply. The 6-pin end goes into your HD4850.



Hope this helps.



EDITED TO ADD:



You have the wrong adapter, dude.



PCIExpress specifications for cards drawing more than 75 watts has always been a 6-pin connector (and the newly revised 6+2 pin, or 8-pin connectors). There was never a 3-pin spec in PCIexpress.



That adapter I linked to is a 6-pin adapter, not 3-pin. Frankly I'm mystified at your description of a "3-pin," because NO graphics card power cable has only 3 pins.|||I said there are TWO 3-pins so that's really a 6-pin. I'm not risking my hardware because it's a 4-pin connection. There really isn't anything mystifying about it except that I should get another video card.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment